Simplicity Blogger Challenge

Here it is my entry for the Simplicity Blogger challenge, when I first heard about the challenge I didn’t have a blog but I spent hours reading sewing blogs so I decided to start a blog to share my sewing experiences and so I could enter the challenge.

I chose to enter the Best Dressmaking Project which was the New Look 6145 Shift Dress pattern, this style of dress doesn’t really suit my figure as I need more fitted clothes but I thought that I wanted to give it a go and was excited about how I could adapt the pattern.

I chose a cotton fabric with yellow and green flowers on a cream background.  The pattern was fairly easy to follow, I decided to change the shape of the sleeves and make them shorter and only have a few gathers at the top, I used the sleeve pattern piece from the New Look 6262.

20150527_172558

This dress has a concealed zip, I always dread them and can’t always remember how to put them in even with the pattern instructions so I sometimes have to resort to youtube for a quick reminder, this zip went in without any dramas.

20150527_172631

 

As you can tell from my previous posts I love a peter pan collar so I decided that this dress needed one, I drafted the collar using the back facing pattern piece for the back of the collar and for the front I used the front facing pattern piece I used my french curve ruler to give shape to the collar, I think it turned out ok, I top stitched the collar so it would lie flat, I am really pleased with the collar especially as I drafted the pattern pieces myself. I added three yellow flower buttons by collar and I also made the dress shorter by a couple of inches.

20150527_172554

20150527_172538   20150527_173450

 

I am really pleased with how my dress has turned out and I think the dress has a bit of a sixties style to it, I have enjoyed taking part in this challenge and I am looking forward to seeing the other entries.

 

Advertisements

A Very Special Dress

What shall I wear to my Cousin’s wedding after my Lilou Dress from Tilly and the Buttons didn’t work out, well on a whim I decided to pop into my local fabric shop (it’s also the only one in my town) I found some lovely royal blue satin fabric with big pink and peach flowers I fell in love with this fabric straight away. I had only sewn with cotton up to this point, a bit ambitious but I felt I could not live without this fabric. Next hurdle what was I going to make – I chose a New Look pattern 6262 and chose version C a fitted V neck bodice with a gathered skirt.  You would have thought I had learned to make a muslin first but I just went straight ahead and decided to make this dress.  This was a lovely simple pattern and the fabric was a dream to work with the dress came out better than I thought the neckline was a bit lower and gaped a bit but nothing I couldn’t live with and the back was a bit loose, I think I could have made the dress in a size smaller but I decided to attach a ribbon around the waist to bring it in a bit which I think finished the dress off.

I wore my dress to my cousin’s wedding it was a beautiful day and I felt very proud of myself and had a few compliments on my dress and it was lovely to say I made it myself.

Blue satin dree

 

My First make from a commercial pattern

After my sewing workshops I started making tote bags for my daughter and her friends and I made a couple of bucket bags.  Then my first big challenge to make an A-Line skirt from a commercial pattern enter Mccalls pattern 3341, I had a few sizing issues – I didn’t realise how different the sizing on patterns was to ready to wear clothes , it was a bit of a shock to cut out such a large size (I kept telling myself it was just a number) the finished skirt was quite big and I ended up taking in a couple of inches at the side seams, I really liked the waist line facing and the pattern was really simple and clear to use. I did end up with a wearable skirt.

Mccalls A-Line Skirt

A New Look Pattern 6843 came next with a binded waistband which I didn’t like as much as the faced waistband on the Mccalls pattern.  The skirt turned out ok but again I didn’t read the pattern properly and my sizing was completely out so again had to adjust the seams.

Blue circle skirt